Thursday, May 5, 2011

Learning the Value of Ten Minutes

In college you sometimes have 10 minutes to get between classes. There was a long list of things I learned to do in those 10 minutes besides walking across campus to my next class: Go to the bathroom, call and make a dentist or doctor appointment, find out the hours of a restaurant, price compare the cost of an oil change, call my mom, do some sketches for an extra project outside of class, eat lunch, pay my bill on campus, etc.
At the end of the workday, it’s 4:50pm and there are those people that are “packing up their things and heading home for the day.” “They are making their way to the door.” I am still at my desk sending off a quick email, saving and backing up my files, or cleaning my work area. At my previous job, I once took my last 15 minute break at 20 minutes before the hour and I came back to work for those last five minutes. Even though we are allowed to leave 10 minutes early without penalty, I came up to do my 5 minutes of work that I owed. My co-workers thought I was crazy and just assumed I went home. However, I thought I could get a lot done in five minutes and it’s not something to take for granted.
Ten minutes everyday really adds up: Nearly an hour every week. That’s also 2 weeks a year! The next day always seems a little bit easier if I have just one more thing crossed off my list. I can go to sleep with a peaceful mind knowing everything is done for the day.

That’s all for now…

No comments:

Post a Comment